TEA FOR TWO FAMOUS LADIES

FMM-Borgward-SW-004.jpg

By Mike Monk

Borgward that belies its short but interesting history. Based in Bremen, Germany, the company was founded by Carl Friedrich Wilhelm Borgward (1890-1963) and the name was first applied to a car in 1939. Prior to this, Carl’s first car was the Goliath Blitzkarren (lightning cart), a tiny three-wheeled delivery vehicle with a 2hp (1.5kW) engine, which appeared in 1924 and became very successful. In 1929, he became the director of Hansa Lloyd AG, having been able to merge his Goliath- Werke Borgward & Co with Hansa-Lloyd, and various vehicles were produced under these brand names. In 1946, Carl founded three separate companies, Borgward, Goliath and Lloyd, and the first model to be primarily branded as a Borgward was the 2000 that was launched in 1939. The 2000 had appeared in 1937 as a Hansa Borgward but the Hansa name was dropped after two years. In 1949, the Hansa 1500 arrived and was Germany’s first post-war-designed car.

But the model that made Borgward famous was the Isabella, which appeared in 1954. It was slightly smaller than the Hansa, both in size and engine capacity. In standard and Deluxe specification, the Isabella had a four-cylinder, in-line, 1493cc overhead-valve engine. A single Solex downdraught carburettor and a 6.8:1 compression ratio produced 60bhp (44.7kW) at 4700rpm. With two-way acceleration control and working through a hydraulic clutch and four-speed all-synchromesh gearbox, 0-60mph (96km/h) took 19.5 seconds and the top speed was 82mph (132km/h). Fuel consumption was given as 33mpg (8.6 litres/100km).

FMM-Borgward-SW-029.jpg

Suspension was conventional wishbones and coil springs with an anti-roll bar up front and a hypoid gear swing-axle with coil springs at the rear. Hydraulic drum brakes were fitted all round. Steering was by rack and pinion, steel wheels were standard, shod with 5.90×13 tyres, and the turning circle – 3¾ turns lock to lock – was listed as being ‘about 11 metres’. Unladen weight was given as 1 115kg.

The monocoque, stylish, two-door Isabella was well received and 11 150 were sold in its first year, despite being more expensive than equivalent models from Ford and Opel and suffering some teething problems. A spacious, airy, comfortable cabin, as well as good performance and braking were acknowledged plus points.

In May 1955, a station wagon version was introduced called Combi. Why ‘Combi’ and not the German ‘Kombi’ spelling? According to Borgward historian Marius Venz, Borgward considered it a more catchy spelling; after all, unlike the regular German spelling, his name was Carl and not Karl, and his children were named Monica (not Monika) and Claus (not Klaus), so he dared to be different…

FMM-Borgward-SW-046.jpg

Because it was a general-purpose load carrier, the Combi was fitted with heavier duty springs, and only one – basic – spec level was available. Advertised as being “2 Cars in One”, in private transport mode the Combi could easily accommodate five adults and their luggage while in commercial guise, with the rear seat folded flat (the spare wheel was housed under the floor), it had a loading capacity of 1 000lbs (454kg) and 2.5 cubic yards (1.9m3) of load space. The rear opening was virtually square, measuring an impressive 1 090mm wide at loading height. An unusual feature at the time was the side-hinged tailgate that’s naturally set for left-hand-drive markets, which hampers pavement loading and off-loading in right-hand markets. A top-hinged tailgate was introduced in 1962.

FMM-Borgward-SW-026.jpg

Station wagons were not as popular in the 1950s as they have been in recent years, and many of the limited number of Combis that were produced were exported, particularly to America and Australia. Consequently, they have become desirable among Borgward and classic car enthusiasts in general. Even rarer are the panel van and pick-up versions, the latter being sold in South Africa.

The Franschhoek Motor Museum’s original Combi is a rare version of a Borgward and it is an amazingly simple yet attractive (64-year-old) design. The front end is distinctive with its bold Borgward diamond centrepiece, but apart from a stylised chrome bonnet strip and a gently sloping rear fender line with neat taillight pods, the lines are relatively square, which pays dividends in space and practicality.

It is much the same inside. The bench front seat (which could take three people) has a split, tipping backrest to allow access to the rear seat, and the large glasshouse and slim pillars add to the feeling of spaciousness. Although a base-spec vehicle, the instrument cluster surprises by including a clock. A quirky detail is that the side window quarter-vents are operated by a lever in the door panel that could easily be mistaken for the door-opening lever.

FMM-Borgward-SW-048.jpg

On the road, the Combi drives well. The power and torque of the engine provide relaxed progress that is perhaps just as well, because despite the all-synchro box, the shift action is a tad slow and clumsy. The steering on this unrestored car proved a bit vague in a straight line but it drove through corners without fuss, as contemporary road tests claimed. Unladen, the ride is firm thanks to the stiffer springs, but it is easy to imagine the car being driven around the country, going about its business with confidence, occasionally stopping for a tea break…

As well as the Combi, a two-door cabriolet known as the Isabella TS (Touring Sport) was launched in 1955. An uprated engine delivering 75hp (56kW) at 5200rpm and three-stage acceleration control helped deliver 0-60mph in 18.1 seconds and a 91mph (146km/h) top speed. But sales were declining and so a coupé version was developed and added to the range in 1957.

The Isabella was Borgward’s most popular model and it was exported to several markets, including Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. It remained in production for the life of the company, which ceased operations in 1961 following controversial insolvency proceedings, although sales continued into 1962.

FMM-Borgward-SW-009.jpg

TEA BREAK

Adorning this particular Borgward’s doors and tailgate glass are logos and a reference to ‘Catherina da Braganza Tee’. During the 75th annual congress of the Women’s Agricultural Association of the Cape held in September 2004, an address was read out from Dr Anton Rupert (he was unable to attend himself due to ill-health), which stated that back in the early ’50s, he recognised that “women were increasingly found in the front line where things are being done”. His belief in the power of women was well known, and this motivated him to establish a company with an all-women management team and board. This company was known as the Eerste Nasionale Tee en Koffiefabrieke (First National Tea and Coffee Factory Limited), and its first products were Braganza tea and Frisco coffee. This Borgward was most likely one of the reps’ vehicles, but not Catherina’s; her connection goes much further back in history. She was born in 1638, the second surviving daughter of a Portuguese nobleman John, 8th Duke of Braganza, who later became his country’s king. Catherina went on to marry Britain’s King Charles II and became Queen consort of England, Scotland and Ireland. However, although she led a troubled life, Catherina is credited with popularising – if not introducing – the British to drinking tea, so leaving a lasting legacy when she passed away in 1705.

FMM-Borgward-SW-022.jpg

Latest Motoring Articles

Browse our classic cars on auction
Visit Auctions
Inviting auction consignments
Selling Guide