English sports car and military vehicle manufacturer Alvis was founded in 1919 and also produced aircraft engines, armoured cars and other armoured fighting vehicles. Although known for its outstanding quality, Alvis only produced limited volumes. Like many upmarket automobile brands in those days, Alvis did not produce the bodies of the cars. The company cooperated with several coachbuilders like Hooper, Mulliner, Vanden Plas and Tickford.
Built from 1950 to 1955, the Three Litre TA21 was the first completely new model introduced by Alvis after WWII. It was available as a four-door saloon from Mulliner and drophead coupé (DHC) from Tickford. Though based on its predecessor the TA14, the TA21 had a more powerful new 3-litre, six-cylinder engine and independent front wheel suspension. In total, 1 316 cars were produced over its lifespan.