Established in 1952, Austin-Healey was a joint venture between Austin motor company and Donald Healey. After creating the Nash Healey in 1951, Donald Healey identified a gap in the market for a sports car that could reach 100 MPH, was more refined than an MG but less expensive than a Jaguar. One of the most popular Austin Healey’s was the 3000 with a powerful inline 6 cylinder
This car is a replica built by the well-known Woodley Healey company based in Paarl. They build a new chassis clothed with a fiberglass body in the style of the Austin Healey 3000 models. A modern drivetrain is sourced from the e30 BMW with base models using the 2.0l straight six M20 engine with higher spec models using the 2.5l and 2.8l examples.
This example was purchased in the Garden route four years ago by the current owner. It was then a more basic specification with a reference photo in the gallery below. The owner commissioned Woodley Healey to carry out upgrades which included the following:
- Respray to Metallic Grey
- Upgrade to wire wheels (car originally had alloy wheels)
- Suspension upgrade to accommodate wire wheels.
- Replaced all uprights and calipers
- Interior reupholstered to red
- New original style dashboard fitted.
- New original style gauges
- New classic style steering wheel
- Electrical system rebuilt
- Modern radio with reverse camera fitted
- New stainless steel fuel tank fitted
Recently the exhaust and welsh plugs were replaced.