Description by seller:
A 1981 RHD Beta Spider, designed by Pininfarina, built by Zagato, with the famed 2.0L Lampredi-designed overhead twin-cam engine. An overlooked Italian classic, with only 9 390 being produced, few of which were RHD.
I purchased the car in 2016 and, as far as I can ascertain, it has had four previous owners. The second owner purchased the car in 1983 and then transferred it to his wife in 1988. Thereafter, it spent most of its life in her garage until spotted by a builder, a modern Jaguar owner, who purchased it in 2014. After spending quite a lot of money on it, he decided that classic cars weren’t for him and offered it to one of our Vintage Sports Car Club members who bought it in November 2015. As this member already had a number of cars, he accepted an offer after my having reluctantly parted with a Lancia Fulvia to a buyer in the UK. Since then the car has been very well looked after, with considerable refurbishment having been undertaken (see maintenance record below), and mainly used to participate in regularity rallies.
Purchased from C B Cardwell 18/05/2016 – mileage 33 519 km (presumably 133 519 km)
- Inner CV and boot – CV Joint Specialists
- Overhaul carb – Carb Tune Up Centre
- Make up steel water pipe – Exhaust Shoppe
- Purchase ignition switch, expansion tank, LH mirror, speedo cable, LH door bezel and Haynes manual – BetaBoyz – UK
- Repair and adjust gear linkage – Melmac Auto Elect.
- Replace all wheel bearings - Melmac
- Refurbished radiator – Pmb Radiator
- Replace ball joints – Melmac
- Replace cam belt – Melmac (46 091 km)
- Replace front and back brake calliper seals
All above parts purchased from BetaBoyz
- Total respray – Vanztasticpb
- Replace steering rack gaiter & rod ends (Betaboyz), fit new handbrake cable and rear mounting rubbers – East Coast Power Steering
- Reinforce front cross member – Auto Touch Up Centre
This vehicle is available to view by appointment in Pietermaritzburg .
Reminders to bidders:
- A buyer's premium of 5% (which includes VAT) for cars and bikes applies.
- The minimum buyer's premium is R5 000 incl. VAT for cars and bikes (eg. if R50 000 is bid, buyer's premium = R5 000 and total cost = R55 000).
- The maximum buyer's premium is capped at R100 000 incl. VAT for cars and bikes (eg. if R3 000 000 is bid, buyer's premium = R100 000 and total cost = R3 100 000).
- Classic Car Africa aims to present each lot as accurately as possible but it is the responsibility of the bidder to be 100% satisfied with the condition of the lot before placing a bid.