The MG Magnette is an automobile that was produced by MG between 1953 and 1968. The Magnette was manufactured in two build series, the ZA and ZB of 1953 through to 1958 and the Mark III and Mark IV of 1959 through to 1968, both using a modified Wolseley body and an Austin engine.
Announced on 15 October 1953, it debuted at the 1953 London Motor Show. Deliveries started in March 1954. Production continued until 1956, when 18 076 had been built. It was the first monocoque car to bear the MG badge.
The Magnette was designed by Gerald Palmer, designer of the Jowett Javelin and saw the first appearance of the new four-cylinder 1489cc B-Series I4 engine with a pair of inch-and-a-quarter SU carburettors.
Suspension was independent at the front using coil springs and had a live axle with half elliptic leaf springs at the rear. The steering was by rack and pinion. Hydraulically operated Lockheed 10-inch drum brakes were fitted to front and rear wheels.