The MGA is a sports car that was produced by MG from 1955 to 1962. It replaced the MG TF 1500 Midget and represented a complete styling break from MG's earlier sports cars. Announced on 26 September 1955, the MGA was officially launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show. A total of 101 081 units were marketed through the end of production in July 1962, the vast majority of which were exported. 5 869 cars were sold on the home market, and the MGA was replaced by the MGB.