The Morgan Plus 4 arose alongside the ready availability of the Standard Triumph four-cylinder engine in twin-carb guide as used in the Triumph TR series. The engine offered considerably more horsepower than the other four-cylinders that Morgan could access in the 1950s. Nearly everything else stayed the same, including the ash wood-framed body, sliding pillar front suspension, cut-down doors and rudimentary weather protection, the Bluemels Brooklands steering wheel and cream-coloured Smiths gauges. Around 1954 the flat radiator front ends were replaced with a waterfall design and 48-spoke wire wheels began to become more common.
There were three body styles available: the standard two-seater roadster, the drophead coupé (with a three-position top and roll-up windows) and the four-seater roadster.
Plus 4s are easy to own. Mechanical bits are Triumph-made and the Morgan factory will supply anything from entire bodies to new chassis and fenders.