The Citroën Light 15 officially started production in 1938 as a variant of Citroën’s Traction Avant (French for ‘front-wheel drive’) model. Originally designed by Andre Lefebvre and Flaminio Bertoni in 1933 and 1934, it was Citroën’s answer to DKW’s front-wheel-drive models and continued production until 1957. It was officially called the ‘Light 15’ in the UK during its production in Citroën’s Slough plant and was sold alongside the ‘Big 15’ variant which, although it had a bigger engine, was not as popular as the Light 15. Unlike its competitors at the time, Citroën designed and implemented a welded unitary chassis to the Traction Avant which made the car lighter by saving steel during production. Independent front suspension was also added by means of a torsion bar and wishbone suspension.