The second OE fitment for SU followed a year later, when Wolseley fitted an SU patented design of their constant depression carburettor to the 16/20hp model in 1912. This set the standard within the industry, and SU went on to feature as original equipment for many manufacturers including Bentley, Aston Martin, MG and Rolls-Royce. The demise of the carburettor-fed 1.1- and 1.4-litre Rover Metro in 1994 marked the end of SU Automotive Limited supplying original equipment carburettors to the car industry, some 86 years after the first SU carburettors were manufactured.
Despite the demise of SU OE carburettors, SU Automotive Limited continued to supply the Rover group throughout the 1990s. Components included oil pumps for the Rover K series engines, induction manifolds assemblies for Rover and Land Rover vehicles, and throttle bodies and fuel rail assemblies for Rolls-Royce.
The relationship between SU and Burlen began in 1984, when Burlen persuaded SU to continue manufacturing products for aftermarket application. Burlen also took over packaging, marketing, and supply of SU carburettors in the same year, marking the start of a serious business interest in the SU brand.
In 1991, Burlen became the sole global distributer for SU products, purchasing the dormant company name of The S.U Carburetter Company in 1996 (‘Carburetter’ is the spelling used by the Skinner family at the brand’s creation in the early 1900s). That same year Burlen negotiated an agreement to manufacture the SU range of electric fuel pumps and HS range of SU carburettors comprising HS2, HS4, HS6 and HS8.