Delivered new on the 25th of April 2003 from Sandown Motors in Sandton. It is finished in the desirable colour combination of Brilliant Silver Metallic (744M) with red leather interior. Optional extras ordered on this SL55 AMG include:
219 - COLLISION WARNING RADAR
220 - PARKING AID
352 - OPERATION AND MONITORING SYSTEM COMAND (NAVIGATION + RADIO/CASSETTE)
401 - COMFORT FRONT SEATS WITH VENTILATION AND SEAT HEATERS
475 - TYRE PRESSURE CONTROL
481 - UNDERSHIELDS
500 - OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LEFT AND RIGHT, FOLDING
524 - PAINTCOAT PRESERVATION
618 - HALOGEN LAMP UNIT WITH HIGH BEAM/LOW BEAM/FOG LIGHT (R.H. TRAFFIC)
668 - 662 + 666 (TYRES 275/55 R 17 WITH LIGHT METAL WHEELS)
803 - MODEL YEAR CHANGE LAST DIGIT SHOWS THE RESPECTIVE NEW MODEL YEAR
810 - SOUND PACKAGE (BOSE)
819 - CD CHANGER - ALPINE - IN TRUNK
853 - PRODUCTION TEST BM 124125
860 - TELEVISION TUNER
882 - PASSENGER COMPARTMENT PROTECTION/TOWING-OFF PROTECTION (WITH ANTI-THEFT WARNING SYSTEM ONLY)
889 - KEYLESS-GO
989 - IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
U12 - FLOOR MATS, VELOURS
The original service book and operation manuals are present with regular services stamped. The last service showing in the book was stamped in December 2015 at 150 642km.
Invoices for the following maintenance are available on request:
- 6 May 2016 – 151 424km – Mercedes-Benz dealer
- 13 April 2017 – 154 314km – Mercedes-Benz dealer
- 29 Sept 2017 – Mercedes-Benz independent specialist
- 6 March 2018 – Mercedes-Benz independent specialist
- 19 March 2018 – Mercedes-Benz independent specialist
- 23 March 2018 – Mercedes-Benz independent specialist
Went through a 60-point check at Mercedes-Benz prior to being listed on auction with the feedback below.
- Replace engine mountings
- Replace two strut rods on front axle
- Replace lower engine compartment panelling
- Replace onboard electrical system battery – done – November 2021
Other minor items:
- Replace wiper blades
- Replace Mercedes-Benz emblem
- Replace front radiator grille
- Replace two pneumatic springs for boot
- Replace two tyres
Not noted by Mercedes-Benz in the 60-point check above, the ABC (Active Body Control) fault light does come up when the car has been parked and the car moves to its lowest suspension setting. Apart from this fault, when this SL55 AMG is fired up, it runs and drives very well and is cosmetically good. The rims are unmarked but the radiator grille does need repair.
This is an opportunity to secure an AMG performance convertible at a fraction of its original purchase price. The correct buyer who invests time and a bit of money on the areas that require attention will unlock the potential of this example and reap the rewards and enjoyment for the price of an entry-level Korean hatchback.
Available to view by appointment in Cape Town.
Reminders to bidders:
- A buyer's premium of 5% (which includes VAT) for cars and bikes applies.
- The minimum buyer's premium is R5 000 incl. VAT for cars and bikes (eg. if R50 000 is bid, buyer's premium = R5 000 and total cost = R55 000).
- The maximum buyer's premium is capped at R100 000 incl. VAT for cars and bikes (eg. if R3 000 000 is bid, buyer's premium = R100 000 and total cost = R3 100 000).
- Classic Car Africa aims to present each lot as accurately as possible but it is the responsibility of the bidder to be 100% satisfied with the condition of the lot before placing a bid.